Crisp oven roasted mushrooms stuffed with delightful mediterranean flavors — today we combine the best of both worlds to make these elegant appetizer bites, perfect for any occasion, from holiday party to weeknight noshing. If you are a pizza lover, it’s a great way to incorporate the same aromas into a new dish. Use large bella or cremini mushrooms with good-size caps to hold the stuffing. We suggest you snatch one of these before you serve because these will be gone in under 5 minutes!
Ingredients list for the Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- 12 whole baby bella or cremini mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3.5 oz (100g) ham
- 2 balls mozzarella cheese
- Grated parmesan
- Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C).
2. Wipe clean the mushrooms with a damp towel and remove the stem. Scrape out any of the gills to increase the cavity space. Put in a baking dish, bottom side up. Pre-cook in oven for 10 minutes to drain mushrooms from their first water. Flip and cook for 5 min more. Mushrooms become less watery and decrease in volume.
3. Meanwhile , sauté the chopped onion and crushed garlic in a skillet with little oil. Chop the mushroom stems into small pieces and add to the skillet, until golden. Stir in the tomato paste and 2 glasses of water. Let simmer to reduce and season with salt, pepper and oregano.
4. Cut the ham and mozzarella into small pieces.
5. Re-arrange the mushrooms caps in a baking dish, stuff with the filling, complete with ham, and top with mozzarella. Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake for 20 minutes at 390°F (200°C).