Would you like a lightweight and refreshing dessert to end your lunch, or to have during a break on a sunny spring afternoon? This coconut milk ice cream will fit perfectly between your spring salad mix and an espresso on the go. Here’s the recipe, explained step by step:
Ingredients list for the coconut ice cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (110g) of caster sugar
- 2 1/3 cups (500ml) of coconut milk
- 3 1/3 fl oz (100ml) whipping cream
- 1 tbsp rum liqueur (optional)
1. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Add cornstarch and sugar while stirring.
2. In a saucepan, heat the coconut milk to the simmering point, without letting it boil.
3. Pour the warm coconut milk gradually over the yolks, whisking constantly, then pour this mixture into the saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
4. Pour the mixture into a bowl and leave to cool. Once the preparation is cooled, pour the cream and stir in the liqueur (this step is optional). Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and let it churn, and then put the preparation in the freezer until serving.
Notes: Liquor flavors up the ice-cream and prevents the appearance of ice crystals. You can replace it with Cointreau, Grand Marnier or other liqueur of your choice. It is perfectly scoopable from the freezer, but the texture is better if you let it rest at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving.