Skip the can – Cozy, comforting, and HEALTHY! When temperatures are down, break out this simple beans, bacon and vegetable soup. Full of high-fiber veggies, a bowlful will keep you satisfied and feeling warm from the inside out. It’s super simple and you can double the batch to freeze!
Ingredients list for the vegetable soup
- 2 strips of bacon, sliced
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups (1l) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cajun spice blend
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 handful green beans, cut 1/2-inch long
- 1/2 cup canned white beans
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In a saucepan or pot over medium heat, fry bacon until golden and fragrant. Set aside and discard half the bacon fat.
2. In the remaining bacon fat, fry the onion and garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add vegetable or chicken stock and cajun spices. Bring to a simmer.
3. Add carrot and green beans and cook for 3 minutes, then add celery and zucchini and cook for 3 minutes more. Finish cooking by adding white beans and tomato, cook 3 minutes then add bacon back to the soup.
4. Adjust seasoning if necessary and divide into bowls. Enjoy hoy with crusty bread!
Note: For a vegetarian version, omit bacon and use vegetable stock.