This fig chutney on toasts is just perfect for a fun and indulgent snack or appetizer that you can make again and again. Once you get your perfect fig specimens, let’s say Mission figs, simmer a sweet/sour chutney and assemble with a tangy goat cheese and a good slice of toasted crusty bread. Looks like you’ll experience the perfect flavor combination of this end of Summer!
Ingredient list for figs toasts with chutney and goat cheese
For 4 large slices:
- 4 slices of country bread
- (150g) of fresh goat cheese
- 4 fresh figs
- 1 sprig tarragon
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Fig and onion chutney :
- (200g) of fresh figs
- 1 large red onion
- (60g) sugar
- (10cl) of apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch of Espelette hot pepper
- Salt and pepper
The day before, make the chutney:
1. Wash figs, and cut into eight. Peel and finely chop the onion.
2. Put everything in a pan with the vinegar, sugar, spices and a pinch of salt. Heat until boiling. Lower the heat and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Dispose in a bowl and allow to cool down completely before you refrigerate.
1. Toast the bread slices. Spread two tablespoons of fig chutney on each slice. Add a little goat cheese, salt and pepper, pour a little olive oil.
2. Top with quartered figs and a few leaves of tarragon. Enjoy!
There’s a lot of variations you can make. Perhaps, you may want to pair the figs with some ricotta cheese and pine nuts or walnut instead, or maybe serve with some dry toast, pita chips, or even flatbreads. if you’re interested in a more elaborated recipe for fig chutney, have a look over there.
(Photo by Dominique)