For an afternoon break with a goodcup of hot tea or coffee, nothing can beat these shortbread cookie sandwiched with a layer of dulce de leche. The sweet caramel sauce is so addicting that they will disappear in no time, especially if there are kids in the house!
Ingredients list for the sandwich cookies
The shortbread cookies:
- 1 stick (120g) butter
- A pinch (2 g) salt
- 3/4 cup (90g) icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons (15 g) almond powder
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 cups (60g + 180g) all-purpose flour
The quick dulce de leche:
- One can sweetened condensed milk
If you’re short on time, you can find ready-made dulce de leche in a local market that has a good selection of Latin American products.
1. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C).
2. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl and salt, ground almonds, egg, and 1/2 cup (60g) of flour.
3. Once the mixture is homogeneous add 1 1/2 cups (180g) flour and mix quickly, without overworking the dough. Make a ball, wrap in plastic and let sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
4. Spread the dough on a floured surface and cut out as many cookies as will fit with a round cookie cutter, try getting an even number of cookies a they will be paired to make the sandwiches. Then cut out a little star in the center of half the cookies.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes in the oven.
The dulce de leche:
1. Put the can of condensed milk into a pressure cooker. Covered with water and cook for 30-35 minutes.
2. Remove the can from the pressure cooker and allow to cool.
3. Open the can and spread dulce de leche onto one cookie, then put the second hollowed cookie on top.