If you want to add a a nice dish with a spicy, comforting and warm touch on your menu, then this curried chicken is certainly what you’re looking for. If you like tasteful and spicy food, do not hesitate to add curry paste. Depending upon the season, you can customize this dish by using squash or pumpkin instead of carrots, gumbo can also replace green beans for an exotic note. One great point is that it freezes very well, so make a good batch you can keep for later.
Preparation time: 30 minutes – Cooking time: 45 minutes
Ingredients list for the curried chicken
- (300g) carrots (or pumpkin, depending upon your mood and the season)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp vegetable Oil of your choice — olive, sunflower, peanut
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp curry paste
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 3/4 cup (20cl) coconut milk
- 1 lb (450g) frozen green beans
- 2 handfuls of salted peanuts
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro
Oven Baked Mashed Potato Cakes
1. Peel and cut carrots into small cubes.
2. Peel and chop the onion. Peel the cloves garlic, cut in half to remove the germ, then crush it with the flat of the blade of your knife.
3. Heat a little oil in your pan. Brown the chicken thighs on both sides. Remove and reserve.
4. Sauté the onion in the pan with garlic.
5. Add the curry paste and cook for one minute, stirring.
6. Add peanut butter, coconut milk and water. Mix well and bring to a boil.
7. Put the chicken thighs back into the pan and let simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, covered and stirring occasionally.
8. Add carrots and green beans and cook for 15 minutes more. Stir occasionally.
9. Meanwhile, chop the cilantro.
10. Just before serving, sprinkle the dish with peanuts and cilantro.
You can serve this dish with rice, potatoes or lentils.