The Beef Goulash is a traditional Hungarian dish, rich in color and flavor.
This very fragrant recipe can be served with potatoes and green salad or pasta. You can also decorate your Beef Goulash with vegetables: Diced peppers, peeled tomatoes or shredded cabbage incorporated into the casserole just before covering.
Ingredient list for the beef goulash recipe
For 4 to 6 people:
- 2 1/2 lbs (1.2 kg) beef (hock, preferably)
- 1 3/4 lbs(800 g) of onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbsp oil
- 5 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Salt and pepper
Super-Fudgy Double Chocolate Brownie
1. Peel and finely chop the garlic and onions.
2. Cut meat into strips 1 1/2 inch (4cm) long and 3/4 inch (2cm) wide so beef can release its full aroma when cooking. Thoroughly remove nerves and fat with a small sharp knife.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Sauté the onions until they are translucent, barely browned.
4. Mix the paprika, garlic, oregano, thyme, and cumin. Pour 3 tablespoons of this spice mix in the pan with the onions. Sauté a few minutes, then pour vinegar added by 8 to 10 tablespoons water.
5. Add meat, preferably without mixing, so it does not stain. Do not let it burn, especially if it hardens.
6. Salt and pepper, stir, reduce heat, and cover. Above all, do not add water. Onions and meat exude enough liquid so that the dish can simmer longer without the need to add any liquid. You can add either a few drops of water if the juice is almost completely reduced, and just enough to prevent the goulash from boiling (it would dry).
7. After 1h30 or a little more, the meat is almost cooked. Pour remaining spices, cook for a few minutes, then cover (barely) the meat with cold water. Simmer for 15 minutes, adjust the seasoning, and serve your Beef Goulash.