Ratatouille, this typical Mediterranean summer treat is both delicious and healthy… We will cook this vegetable stew in two steps for a change: first we will brown and stew the vegetable on the stove then we will bake the ratatouille in the oven at low temperature. This makes the ratatouille deliciously crisp and the taste of pepper brings a bit of sun on our plates.
Preparation time: 15 min – Cooking time: 15 min + 2h in the oven
Ingredients list for the ratatouille recipe
- 2 eggplants
- 2 zucchini
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1/2 orange pepper
- 6 tomatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 2/5 cup (10cl) of olive oil
- One pinch of paprika
- Fresh thyme and bay leaves
- Salt + pepper
1. Pre-heat your oven to 360°f (180°c).
2. Wash and cut your vegetables coarsely.
3. In a large wok or chef pan, heat half the olive oil and sauté the garlic and onion. Just make them brown.
4. Put all the vegetables, thyme sprigs and bay leaf in the pan with onion and garlic.
5. Salt and pepper according to taste and add the touch of paprika if you like. Mix well.
6. When the vegetables have taken a beautiful color, put everything in a baking dish and pour the remaining olive oil over.
7. Bake for 2h by lowering your oven to 320°f (160°c).
Serve hot or warm with white meat or fish.
- Choose fresh and quality vegetables, fresh aromatic herbs, and quality olive oil.
- The classic recipe combines many vegetables, but there are also exclusively pepper ratatouille. It is also possible to add more unusual vegetables (celery, for example).
Read also: how to use figs in cooking