We all deserve something comforting to recover after a hard work week, don’t you think? Healthy, filling and delicious, this sweet potato, kale, and chickpea soup makes the perfect warming dinner, just what you need before snugging up in a blanket and prepare your plans for the weekend.
Ingredients list for the sweet potato, kale and chickpea soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small to medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 6 to 7 cups vegetable broth (or water with vegetarian bouillon cubes)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one can of cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained)
- 1 big handful grape tomatoes
- ½ small bunch of green kale, stem removed and coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, if you like it extra spicy)
Parmesan Garlic Spaghetti Squash
1. In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
2. Roast paprika in oil for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the onions with a big pinch of salt. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions start to soften.
4. Add sweet potato and stir until the onions and sweet potatoes are coated with paprika and the spice is fragrant, about a minute.
5. Add six cups of vegetable broth (or water and bouillon cubes). Bring to a boil, then set the timer for 10-12 minutes, cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer.
6. After 10-12 minutes, uncover the pot and add the chickpeas and grape tomatoes. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
7. Uncover, stir in the kale, add cayenne pepper if desired, and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve hot in individual bowls with additional fresh cracked black and white pepper.