With fresh sweet strawberries and a rich and luscious pastry cream topping golden tart shells, this delicious combination is perfect for a casual dinner party with a few guests or family. The tartlet shells, vanilla pastry cream, and strawberries, can be completed individually at separate times, with is great if you don’t want to spend long hours in a row in the kitchen!
Ingredients list for Strawberry Tart with Vanilla Pastry Cream
For 5 mini tarts
- 1 shortcrust pastry sheet, homemade or store bought
- 1 pound (450g) of fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (30g) of sugar for the sauce
- 0.8 cup (20cl) of liquid cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 3 tablespoons (35g) of sugar for the custard
- 2 egg yolks
Oven Baked Mashed Potato Cakes
Tart shells and strawberry sauce
1. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C). Line the tart pans with dough and blind bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile prepare the strawberry sauce: Cut 4-5 strawberries into small pieces and place in a saucepan with water, lemon juice and sugar. When the mixture begins to boil, cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the sauce in a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap.
The pastry cream
1. Split the vanilla bean half lengthwise and scrape the seeds from the pod and add to the cream. Heat over medium-high until just under a boil, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg and until smooth.
3. When the liquid cream is hot, slowly whisk about 1/3 of the cream into the egg mixture, whisking continually.
4. Pour the egg-cream mixture back into the remaining hot cream, whisking over medium heat until the custard has thickened.
5. Fill the tart shells and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool then place in the fridge.
1. Pass the strawberry sauce through a small strainer, crushing the pieces of cooked strawberries.
2. Cut the remaining strawberries and garnish the tart shells. Drizzle with strawberry sauce. Keep in the refrigerator until serving.
(Picture by N.Palmer)