For those hankering after the ultimate quick and easy dessert, this apple skillet crumble with a juicy caramel filling is fall comfort food at its best. You can make the topping ahead and keep it in the freezer to enjoy this all-time favorite for breakfast, brunch, dessert, teatime, or anytime!
Ingredients list for the Caramel Apple Skillet Crumble
- 2 cups apples, cut in wedges
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Salted butter caramel sauce (recipe here)
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In a bowl, mix the 1 1/2 cup flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add butter and work in pieces, until large clumps form.
3. Lightly butter a cast iron skillet, toss together apples and drizzle with the caramel sauce.
4. Spread the crumble topping evenly on top of the apple/caramel mixture with your hand and press it down lightly.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the edges are bubbling and the top is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature with additional caramel sauce!