Ingredients list for the red onion soup
- 5 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 can (14 ounces each) low sodium beef broth
- 2 can (10 ounces each) beef consomme
- 4 slices french bread, cut in cubes about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Olive oil
- Fresh cracked black and red pepper
- Chives, chopped
1. Preheat your oven to 480°F (250°C). Brush the bread cubes with olive oil and toast in the oven until the croutons are crisp and brown.
2. In a large pan or pot, add onions and 1 cup beef broth. Saute onions until broth is completely evaporated, and onions begin to caramelize.
3. Add beef consomme and half the gruyere cheese. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
4. When ready to serve, mix the soup with a hand blender until smooth. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Add chives and cracked pepper. Top each bowl with croutons and sprinkle with cheese.
Note: You can put soup bowls under a broiler until the cheese is melted.