A classic pumpkin pie with a twist: Instead of pumpkin we use red kuri squash which nutty taste blends perfectly with chocolate, lemon zest, spices, brown sugar and vanilla. Best of all, the filling comes together in one bowl—Easy as pie! Try this baked red kuri squash pie recipe for your next party or family dinner!
Ingredients List for the chocolate red kuri pumpkin pie
Makes for one deep-dish 9-inch pie
For the Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 1 3/4 cups (300g) red kuri, or pumpkin puree (recipe here, just substitute kuri to pumpkin, it cooks the same way)
- 1 cup (240g) heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup (130g) light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg(optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dark or milk Chocolate squares for garnish
- Use a store-bought crust or make this easy shortcrust pastry recipe.
One-Pan Cajun Chicken
1. Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C) with the rack in the middle position.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until the whites and the yolks are homogenous, about 2 seconds. Add the remaining filling ingredients to the bowl and whisk well to combine. Make sure the eggs and cream are completely incorporated. Line a rimmed pie pan with the unbaked crust, then pour the filing.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350°F (180°C) and continue baking for 45-60 minutes, or until the filling has set. Make sure the filling doesn’t boil, so if your oven it very hot, you can reduce heat to 325°F (160°C) after only 10 minutes. 10 to 12 minutes before the end, place chocolate squares on top of the pie and allow to melt. Insert a knife or tooth pick in the middle of the pie, if comes out clean, it’s done!
4. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Then serve at room temperature or chill in the refrigerator and serve cold.
Note: if you’re not familiar with red kuri squash, its bright orange flesh is easy to cook and tastes a bit like chestnut and sweeter than a pumpkin, so you don’t need to add as much sugar to your recipes.