Easy to prepare and endlessly versatile, pasta makes a wonderful quick supper when time is short. If you are a tuna lover, this easy to follow recipe is perfect for a light supper or a festive outdoor dinner al fresco. With a few basic ingredients from the fridge and the pantry, you are not more than minutes away from a delicious pasta dinner. If you grow your own herbs, make sure to toss in some chopped fresh basil!
Ingredients list for Lemony Tuna and Olive Oil Pasta
Serves 4 :
- 1 pound (500g) rigatoni pasta or penne
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- A large can of skinned tomatoes (1.5 lb)
- 1 to 2 cans of tuna packed in oil (if all you have is tuna in brine, drain it, add oil directly into the can and let steep for a few hours in the refrigerator)
- 1 bunch of fresh basil leaves, keep the stems apart
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Zest and juice of a lemon
One-Pan Cajun Chicken
1. Boil a large volume of salted water to cook pasta. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce.
2. Chop onions and fry over low heat with a little olive oil with chopped basil stems and ground cinnamon.
3. When the onion is translucent, add the skinned tomatoes and flaked tuna. Add salt and pepper and simmer while pasta finishes to cook.
4. When pasta is cooked al dente, add torn basil leaves, a drizzle of lemon juice and grated zest to the tuna and tomato sauce. Check and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
5. Drain pasta and combine with sauce, serve with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional).