As you certainly know the classic tatin pie with apples, today we’ll experiment with a coming seasonal fruit: orange! Let’s roll out our skills to make a great orange upside down cake. It’s promised, it’s not difficult at all and the end result is tasty as hell! Your kids will enjoy for sure.
Ingredients you will need for the Orange Upside Down Cake
For 4 individual portions:
- 5 oranges
- 1/2 cup (70 g) powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar (for molds)
- 1 cup (85 g) flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 3/4 (40 g) butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Cooking instructions : Orange Upside Down Cake
1. Collect the orange segments — called supremes —, only the pulp. It is not complicated but you must follow some rules: it is first necessary to peel the oranges and then remove the top and bottom areas. here’s a quick step by step tutorial to collect orange supremes. Usually an orange is enough to line a tart pan, however, as more slices to complete if necessary.
2. Preheat your oven to 410° F (210°c).
3. Generously butter each mold, sprinkle with brown sugar and arrange the orange supremes.
4. Prepare the dough: whisk the eggs with the sugar, add flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder and butter and mix well.
5. Pour this mixture over the orange segments and bake for 35 minutes.
6. let teh cake cool out of the oven and un-mold with the help of a knife or a spatula.
For an “adult” version, do not hesitate to flame a little rum with sugar. A good flame spread over the cake just before un-molding is a delight…
Recipe inspired by Cécile