The French onion soup is a popular traditional dish for evening or early morning. The onion soup is often served at parties, when the guests start to feel tired. In the real recipe, replace the water with beef broth. The broth adds flavor, and honestly, this is what we are looking for!
Level of difficulty : Easy
Preparation : 20 min
Cooking: 1 h 05 min
Ingredients list for the onion soup recipe
For 3 people
- 1lb (500 g) onions
- 4 1/4 cups (1 liter) chicken stock, or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) butter
- 1 tsp. of flour
- 1 bread
- 1/2 cup (60 g) grated cheese
1. Peel the onions and cut them into thin strips.
2. Heat the chicken stock (or beef stock).
3. Melt the butter in a pan, and make sauté the onions.
4. Cook 15 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally until onions are lightly colored.
5. Season and add the flour. Stir again and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Gradually pour the hot broth.
7. Cook over low heat for 30-45 minutes.
8. Check and adjust seasoning.
9. Preheat your oven to 390°F ( 200 ° C)
10. Meanwhile, cut the bread into slices. Then toast for a few minutes in the oven.
11. Ladle soup into small soup bowls (that can sustain oven heat).
12. Put slices of bread on the surface, top with grated cheese.
13. Place the soup bowls under the broiler until the surface browns.
14. Serve the hot onion soup.
15. Place slices of grilled baguette and grated cheese leftover at the center of the table.
Wine suggestion: use a dry and fruity white wine like a Riesling. If your preference is for red wine, go for young and fruity wines, not tannic, served chilled, like Black Pinot (Jura) and Gamay (Beaujolais, Loire).