This one skillet chicken with garlic cajun sauce recipe is perfect for a midweek dinner with minimal fuss. After a good braise with sweet carrots, bell peppers and mushrooms, pop the spicy chicken skillet in the oven for 20 minutes. It is low effort, but the flavor level of this melt-in-your-mouth-chicken is totally off the charts!
Ingredients list for the One Skillet Chicken
- 1 1/2 lb. (750g) chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons Cajun spice mix, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/4 lb (110g) button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125ml) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 scallions, sliced for garnish
Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters
1. Preheat the oven in grill/broiler mode. Season the chicken lightly with salt, pepper and cajun spices. In a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the chicken skin side side down and cook until well browned, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook on the other side. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Drain any residual oil, just keep a little for the onion.
2. Add the onion to the frying pan and stir. Add the carrots, garlic, red bell pepper and mushrooms in the skillet at intervals of one minute, constantly stirring. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until the vegetables are beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Gradually mix in the broth. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Return the chicken to the pan and bring to a boil.
3. Transfer the skillet to the bottom of the oven and roast for about 20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Sprinkle with chopped scallion. Divide the chicken and vegetables among plates and serve right away.