It’s that time of the year! December is the month for sharing and enjoying cookies by the pound. You certainly already have some delicious shortbread recipes in your sleeves, but this one is worth trying! These bright, citrusy cookies with beautiful crisp edges are just irresistible and we guarantee they won’t last long on your counter or coffee table.
Prep time: 15 mins
Resting time: 2 x 30 minutes
Baking time: 12 mins
Ingredients list for the Citrus Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup (230g) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- Zest of one lime
- 1/2 cup (65g) icing sugar
1. Mix together butter, vanilla and lime zest together with an electric mixer. Add the powdered sugar and continue mixing. Add flour one cup at the time, and mix well. Wrap the cookie dough and chill for minimum 30 mins to 1 hour in the refrigerator.
2. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1/4-inch (6mm) thick. Make nice cut-outs with your favorite cookie cutters. Transfer the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place in the refrigerator for about 30 mins. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake for 12 minutes, until golden.
3. Cool the cookies on a wire rack before dusting with powdered sugar.