Zucchini is an adorable summer produce that has already so many applications: zucchini cake, bread, cookies, muffins and so one. So if you don’t want to push too much and force your family to eat any more zucchini this month, well today we’ll share a new use for your zucchini. We be making a not-so-sweet but oh-so-good jam: an apple and zucchini jam, flecked with raisins. If you grow your own zucchini, you certainly know that it’s such a prolific producer and if you don’t check your plants often you will find you have a batch giant zucchini waiting for you! So now you’ll have no excuse not to use them!
Ingredients list for the apple zucchini jam
Makes a dozen jars:
- 3 lbs (1,5kg) of zucchinis
- 2 lbs (1 kg) of apples
- 2 1/2 lbs (1.250 kg) of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (10 cl) of lemon juice
- 1/2 lb (250 g) golden raisins
- 1/2 cup (10 cl) Armagnac or any brandy that you like. You can also replace it with rum or nothing at all.
Super-Fudgy Double Chocolate Brownie
1. Wash zucchinis and trim both ends. Split in half and scoop out the seeds. Don’t peel the skin but rather shred the zucchinis finely.
2. Peel the apples, cut into very small dices. Add the zucchini.
3. Add lemon juice and cover with sugar. Let marinate overnight.
4. Heat up Armagnac in a saucepan, pour the raisins over and fill with boiling water to cover. Soak overnight.
5. The next day, add the grapes with juice, zucchini and apples. Bring to a boil. Cook for 45 minutes over high heat, stirring occasionally.
6. Towards the end of cooking, stir almost continuously as everything will start to thicken. It’s not a problem if the apple and zucchini strings do not melt properly.
7. Pour into glass jars, put the lid on and flip the pot upside down immediately. Allow to cool before turning the pots.
- This apple and zucchini jam is does great on bread or desserts of course, but also with meat. It is also excellent on crackers and goat cheese!
- You can vary and use pineapple instead of apple, but you’ll have to add pectin.
- Same way with strawberries, possibilities are endless!