Quiche is a very flexible family dish that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and allow you to use what ever ingredients you have on hand. This quiche recipe is full of smoky bacon with swiss chard and creamy shredded cheese; it comes together quickly and would be ideal with a crisp green salad. You can make the crust in the morning or the day before and bake at the last minute to maximize your time.
Ingredients list for the Swiss Chard and Bacon Quiche
Makes 2 small quiches or 1 regular size dish
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 9 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons cold water
One-Pan Cajun Chicken with Potatoes
- 4 pieces of bacon, chopped
- 3 packed cups swiss chard, chopped and stem removed (or kale, spinach, collard greens)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
1. In a food processor, add flour, and salt. Pulse to combine. Of course you can make the crust by hand, the steps are the same.
2. Add the cold butter to the food processor and pulse for a minute. The mixture will look like coarse crumbs. After a minute, gradually add the water, one tablespoon at a time, pulsing the mixture in the food processor. The mixture will begin to stick together and form a ball of dough. Don’t overwork the dough.
3. Turn off the food processor, form the dough into a ball. Press the dough into a 9-inch pie dish or two 5-inch tartlet pans or ramekins. Line the dish with the dough, working with your finders. Refrigerate for 15 – 20 minutes.
4. Bake the crust, covered with parchment paper in the oven at 375°F (190°C) for 10 minutes.
For the filling:
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the cream, cheese, eggs, salt and pepper, to taste. Add bacon and chard and combine.
2. Pour the filling over the quiche shell and bake for 30-35 minutes at 360°F (180°C), until the center is firm and a toothpick comes out clean.