Here’s an incredibly simple braised beef and chickpeas stew featuring succulent meat infused with a rich tomato sauce and a kick of spice.
Ingredients list for the spicy braised beef and chickpeas
- 2 1/2 pound (1.2 kg) beef chuck
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 pound (100g) fresh tomatoes (or 1 can crushed tomatoes)
- 1/2 pound (200g) onion, minced
- 1/2 beef bouillon cube (or 1 pint low-sodium beef stock)
- 1 coffee spoon ground cumin
- 1 coffee spoon paprika
Baked Four Cheese Garlic Spaghetti Squash
1. Cut the beef chuck into 1-inch cubes or strips.
2. Sweat the onion in a large pot or dutch oven with a tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Reduce heat and add paprika, stirring quickly. Add meat and brown on all sides. Add spices, season with salt and pepper and let cook for few minutes, stirring regularly.
3. Add 1/2 bouillon cube and a little water so that the liquid covers the meat. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 to 2 hours over low heat, covered. The more it cooks, the better it is! Add water from time to time to avoid drying up, but keep the sauce thick.
4. When meat is well cooked and falls apart easily, add chickpeas and tomatoes and finish cooking for 20-30 minutes. Serve warm with herbed couscous.
Note: You can prepare this dish ahead of time and reheat as much as you want. The more you reheat, the better it gets! You can also freeze portion of this beef stew for later.