Honestly, does anything go together more than kids and popcorn? Whether it’s covering popcorn with chocolate, shaking on a special seasoning or mixing in your favorite treats, they turn everyone’s favorite snack food into something truly decadent.
This peanut butter caramel popcorn recipe is our favorite at the moment!
Just grab some popcorn… air-popper, microwave or stove top, choose your favorite method and here you go.
The kernels are lightly coated and not real sticky like other caramel corn we’ve tried (and we’ve tried a lot). You can package it in a variety of ways and it keeps very well, making it a fantastic food gift!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, unpopped of course
- 1/2 cup peanuts (or sliced almonds)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sea salt for sprinkling (to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C)
2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the corn kernels and cover. Cook for about 4 minutes or until the popping stops almost completely, shake the pot frequently. Remove the pot from the heat, remove the lid and add the peanuts (or almonds).
3. In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla extract. Pour over popcorn and use a rubber spatula to mix and coat.
4. Spread popcorn on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Let cool completely before serving. Enjoy!
(Photo by Sophie Smarket)