Cozy covers, a good book and a bowl of this creamy orange and butternut soup are all you need to get through the cold fall and winter nights ahead. The mellow flavors of butternut, sweet orange and vanilla synergize delectably in this gorgeous heart-warmer.
Ingredients list for the Orange Butternut Soup
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- A 2 pounds (1kg) butternut squash
- 1 orange
- 3 petites scallots
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- Walnut oil
- Vegetable oil
- 1 knob of butter
- 1/2 cup (120ml) liquid cream (or sour cream, beaten)
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
Balsamic, Honey Roasted Cabbage Steaks
1. Rinse and dry the orange. Peel and collect half the skin with a vegetable peeler, and cut into matchsticks. Place in a bowl with cold water and set aside. Collect orange juice and set aside. Scrap vanilla seeds from the pod and mix with orange juice.
2. Peel and mince shallots finely and sweat over medium fire in a pot or chef pan with a tablespoon vegetable oil and a knob of butter. Peel and gut the butternut and cut into small cubes. Once shallot is slightly golden, place butternut squash cubes into the pan, mix well and add a tablespoon walnut oil and ginger. Season to taste and cook over medium fire for 10 minutes.
3. Cover the squash with boiling water and continue cooking for 25 minutes over medium fire. Five minutes before the end, add the vanilla infused orange juice and the zest.
4. With a skimmer, transfer the ingredients into the bowl of your blender or food processor. Add three ladles of broth and cream. Pulse until you obtain a creamy soup. You can adjust to the desired texture by adding more broth.
5. Serve with a dollop of cream, a dash of olive oil, paprika and few mint leaves.