Some recipes seem to be made just to make you forget all your troubles… Big, sturdy with crusty hazelnut outsides, these sweet buns are stuffed with one of the best Italian invention ever: Nutella! The golden and fluffy dough takes some time to rest/rise, but it totally worth the wait is you’re up for a gourmet Sunday breakfast with kids. Beware, I won’t be responsible if you do not fit your jeans anymore!
Ingredients for the Nutella sweet buns
- 3 1/2 (350g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp (8g) salt
- 1/4 cup (45g) granulated sugar
- 1 packet (7g) active-dry yeast
- 4 eggs, very cold
- 1/2 lb (220g) unsalted butter, diced
- 1 egg for gilding
One-Pan Cajun Chicken
Ingredients for decoration:
- Sliced hazelnuts
1. In a large mixing bowl, make a well with flour and add the eggs. Add salt, active-dry yeast and sugar around the well. Combine all the ingredients and work the dough for 10 minutes.
2. Add diced butter and knead for another 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Let the dough rest 30 minutes.
4. Make a beautiful ball ( it sticks, it’s normal ) and transfer it into a floured bowl.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours and up to 24 hours.
Shaping the balls
1. Punch down the dough and knead gently on a lightly floured surface about 1 minute. Roll out the dough about 2/3 inch (1.5 cm) thick. The dough should be very soft and a bit sticky but easy to shape .
2. Cut discs 4 inch (10cm) diameter with a cookie cutter.
3. Using a spoon, place a dollop of Nutella in the center of each pastry disc. Fold the edges over so the Nutella is completely covered.
1. Arrange balls seam side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
2. Cover with a cloth and let rise about 1:30. Until nicely puffed.
3. Brush buns with 1 egg, slightly beaten.
4. Press the Hazelnuts into the dough.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 360°F (180°C) for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Put on a rack. Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
Note: You can make this recipe with all the toppings you want: jam, custard etc …
(Photo by Tabakovic Amela)