Here is a vegetables recipe I used to make for a very long time since I inherited the cast iron pot of my grandmother. I love this pot for simmering vegetables and especially baby carrots.
Ingredients you will need for the braised carrots
For 4 plates:
- 8-10 beautiful carrots (organic if possible)
- 2 shallots
- 1-2 tbsp of olive oil
- Ground cumin (about 1 teaspoon)
- Fresh or frozen cilantro (a dose according to taste)
- Salt and pepper
Cooking Instructions for the braised carrots
Slice thinly the peeled carrots.
Sauté the chopped shallots in olive oil.
Add carrots and stir well.
Cook for 15-20 min, stirring regularly.
Add cumin and coriander – depending on the desired intensity of flavor.
Add salt and pepper.
Continue cooking over low heat, stirring regularly.
Carrots should stay a bit crunchy while being cooked.
Use this dish to accompany meat, fish.
- Add 1 to 2 cloves garlic, crushed at the beginning of cooking.
- Add thinly diced bacon.
- You can avoid the cumin and coriander and add parsley instead.