This braised cabbage soup with smoked sausages, onion, carrot and celery is the kind of down home dish that you make not because it’s fancy, but because it’s just plain good and comforting. Cabbage gets cooked down nicely in broth and pairs so well with the smoky taste of sausages—Real comfort in a bowl!
Ingredients list for the braised cabbage
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 smoked sausages into 1-inch sections
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage, cored and sliced or shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 bouillon cube
1. In a large pot, add the oil and cook the sausage over medium heat, until browned and stirring regularly. Add the onion and the bay leaves and season with fresh cracked pepper.
2. Add carrot, and cook for 10 minutes over medium, stirring from time to time. Make sure nothing burns, otherwise it will taste bitter. Add garlic and celery and cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add the cabbage, stirring to mix. Add water and bouillon cube and cover. Braise until the cabbage has wilted, stirring occasionally, about 20-25 minutes. Then remove the bay leaves and serve immediately in individual bowl, sprinkled with additional cracked pepper.