This summer savory tart is wonderfully fragrant, full of flavor and a bit creamy. Smokey eggplants and dried tomatoes blend perfectly together, to form an ideal Mediterranean Trinity with basil!
Ingredients list for the veggie tart with dried Tomatoes
Serves 4-6 persons:
- 1 pastry sheet of your choice — shortcrust or puff (homemade is always better, but you do as you want)
- 4 1/2 ounces (125g) dried tomatoes in olive oil (or follow this dried tomatoes recipe)
- 2 1/2 (70g) firm tofu
- 1/2 ounce (15g) fresh basil
- Granulated garlic
- 1 large eggplant
- Feta (optional but it is always better with)
- Some green olives
- Fresh basil leaves
1. Cook the eggplant as you like (in the oven, or using my shameful method: 6 minutes at full power in the microwave, pricked with a knife).
2. Blend the tomatoes with a little oil, tofu and basil. Adjust salt and garlic to taste.
3. Roll out the dough, and then spread the mixture of tomato and tofu on top. Add eggplant slices (1/3 inch, 1cm).
4. Crumble the feta and add the olives and salt (be careful with salt as feta and olive come already salty).
5. Bake for 25 minutes in a preheated oven at 360°F (180°C). (Remember, the eggplant is already cooked, so no need to over-bake.)
6. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves.
7. Serve with a green salad dressed with lemon juice and olive oil.
Bonus: You can use the base of the tomato confit appetizer spread for example — adding a little tofu to make it less fat:
- 4 1/2 ounces (125g) dried tomatoes
- 1/3 lb (150g) tofu
- 1/2 ounces (15g) Basil
- Garlic powder
Add a bit of olive oil if you find it too dry.
(Photo by Deborah – Abso -Fruitly)