Dried tomatoes are a must for your tapas appetizer or to garnish various salty cakes and colorful salads. In this cooking lesson, we’ll learn how to make oven dried tomatoes from scratch. You can make sun-dried tomatoes similarly but you will need a good weather and a lot of time ahead.
You can buy ready-made dried tomatoes, because it is a bit long to do, but so far I have not found any good product at my convenience, so I guess its better for you to know how to make some! Here we go:
Learn how to make oven-dried tomatoes
Ingredients list: dried tomatoes
- 4-6 tomatoes
- A pinch of salt
- A tablespoon of sugar
- A tablespoon of olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme
1. Peel the tomatoes as indicated in this post.
2. Cut them into quarters.
Deseed (remove the seeds with a knife).
3. Gather the tomatoes in a bowl, add a little olive oil.
4. Add sugar and salt, mix.
Marinate for half an hour to an hour (salt and sugar will extract a portion of the water contained in the tomatoes).
5. Crush the garlic cloves with the flat of a knife.
6. Arrange tomatoes on a non-stick tray.
7. Bake at 360°F (180°c) and immediately lower the temperature to 195°F (90°c), open the oven door occasionally to vent the moisture from the tomatoes (you can also block the door with a wooden spoon).
Let dry for 2 hours to 2 hours and half, return tomatoes two or three times on the mat.
You can let tomatoes dry longer or shorter, based on what you want to do with them.
Dried tomatoes Conservation:
- In an airtight container with a little olive oil in the fridge.
- Frozen: by cons tomatoes lose their color when thawed, so it is best to warm them a bit in oven.
- Decorating your hot and cold dishes.
- Add in a mixed salad.
- Cut into cubes for salty cakes, cupcakes or cocktail snacks
- Or just tapas on toasts rubbed with garlic.
Read also: How to make Oven-Dried Tomatoes