Calling all spaghetti squash fans! Don’t miss this stuffed spaghetti squash with spicy shrimp in garlic tomato cream sauce. It has all the flavor and comfort of a hearty low carb and gluten free dish. A family-pleasing recipe that doesn’t take a lot of effort. ♡
Ingredients for the stuffed spaghetti squash with spicy shrimp
- 3 lb (1.5kg) spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb (450g) shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1/2 bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional for paleo)
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook shrimp for 1 minute on one side, until pink. Sprinkle with salt. Flip shrimp over and cook for about 2 more minutes on the other side. Transfer shrimp to a plate, being careful to keeping all the oil and juices in the skillet.
2. In the same skillet, add chopped onion and minced garlic and cook on medium high. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring from time to time, until onions soften.
3. Add crushed tomatoes and bouillon cube dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water. Add chili pepper flakes and thyme, then bring to boil and reduce to a simmer 10 to 15 minutes, mixing occasionally. In the end, while on simmer, add heavy cream, mix it in, and remove from heat immediately.
4. Add back the shrimp and mix everything well to combine. Do not bring to boil or high heat as it might affect the sauce texture. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
5. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the spaghetti squash in a microwave safe baking dish, cut side down, and add 3 tablespoons water and microwave to steam for 7 minutes. Transfer the spaghetti squash halves on a sheet pan, cut side up. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and olive oil and bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
6. When squash is done, scrap the spaghetti with a fork and fill the boats with the spicy shrimp tomato cream sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan, pepper and thyme. Enjoy hot! ♡