Ingredients list for the Pumpkin Chutney
Makes approximately 4 to 5 9oz (250g) jars of chutney:
- 1.3 lbs (600g) peeled and diced fleshy pumpkin or kuri squash
- 2 apples, peeled diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 onions, peeled and minced
- 1 piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 lb (100g) raisins
Balsamic, Honey Roasted Cabbage Steaks
1. Measure the sugar and vinegar into a large saucepan; add the minced onion mix along with cinnamon.
2. Dissolve the sugar over low heat, increase the heat and bring it to a rapid boil, after 5 minutes add the diced pumpkin, bell peppers, apples, and raisins, bring back to the boil and cook until the chutney is thick, the apples have disintegrated and the pumpkin is soft enough but not completely lost its shape.
3. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
4. Transfer the chutney to a clean sterile container or jars and refrigerate till needed. Allow the chutney to mature for a week before using; this helps the flavors to develop.