It’s not quite common to make pear jam or jelly, but anyone who likes sweet and delicate flavors has to give it a try! Red tea ( Tuo Cha would be perfect ) gives a slightly wooden fragrance that balances with the sweetness of fresh pears. This pear jam would be perfect on a good slice of bread for breakfast or accompanied with scones or pancakes when you have your tea in the afternoon.
Ingredients list for the pear an red tea jam
For 4-5 jars
- 2 lbs (1kg) of pears, washed, peeled and cut into julienne
- 1 3/4 lbs (800g) of cane blonde sugar, use the “jam special”, follow instructions and volumes on the product package
- A small cup of red tea, well infused
1. Mix pears and sugar in a medium to large saucepan or a stock pot.
2. Bring to a boil over high heat.
3. When the jam is bubbling strongly, reduce the fire a little and keep boiling for 5 minutes.
4. Add the tea, stir and cook for another 2 minutes. Skim.
5. Fill the jars, close them and return them to sterilize the lids. Let cool then return the jars. You can keep this jam for several month in a cool and dark place.
What do you think of this pear jam recipe?
Don’t miss this sautéed fruit salad!