Here is a recipe for some tasty marinated mackerels with white wine and orange. This healthy fish recipe is very different from the marinated mackerels you can find in cans. Here, mackerels are half cooked, very soft and fragrant with spices and herbs from the marinade. A perfect healthy fish recipe when the weather is hot! This recipes is part of our best low fat dinner recipes round-up, you should definitely give it a look!
Ingredients list for Mackerel in White Wine Sauce
- 4 small mackerels
- 2 untreated oranges
- 4 small white onions
- 2 large stalks celery
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 1 small glass of dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon of the five pepper mix
- 1 large carrot
- fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro, dill …)
1. Prepare your mackerel fillets (or have it done by your fishmonger). Remove the small bones with tweezers. Rinse and dry on paper towels. Place the fillets in a large dish.
2. Rinse the orange zest and draw one of them. Cut into small sticks (julienne) and then plunge them into boiling water. Drain immediately and immerse in cold water.
3. Repeat twice (this removes the bitterness). Spread the zest on the fish fillets.
4. Squeeze the juice of two oranges, set aside.
5. Peel, wash and slice onions into rings, then slice carrots and celery.
6. Heat a pan with a drizzle of olive oil, make sautee, without coloring, all the vegetables for 2 minutes. Salt lightly, add the cilantro and peppers. Pour the orange juice and white wine and cook 5 minutes on low heat.
8. Pour the contents of the casserole on the mackerel fillets. Immediately cover tightly with a film or foil to retain heat properly.
9. Let the mackerel fillets cool in their cooking liquid for 1 hour at room temperature, then store in refrigerator until serving.
10. Just before serving, chop some fresh herbs and spread on the dish.
Serve with a Muscadet sur Lie, or an Entre Deux Mers.
(Photo by D. Sauvage)