Nothing says fall or family sunday dinner like a delicious herb roasted chicken atop some garlicky root vegetables. Roasting all the ingredients together melds flavors beautifully in this one-pan meal and it makes the house smell wonderful. Garlic, sage and tarragon bolster the clean flavor of snap peas, a fresh addition to the earthy flavor of roast chicken and a way to brighten up the taste of fall. For a moist, tender meat and a crisp, golden brown skin, high-heat oven roasting is definitely the way to goat the end of cooking.
Ingredients list for the roasted chicken and vegetables
- A 2lbs (1kg) whole chicken
- 1 head of garlic
- Herbs: tarragon, sage, thyme…
- Olive oil
- Snap peas
1. Stuff the chicken with garlic cloves, peeled and de-germed, and herbs.
2. Brush the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with thyme and a little salt,
3. Roast at 430°F (220°C) in a roasting pan, the chicken breasts downside, for 30 minutes.
4. Baste regularly with cooking juices, then turn the chicken back side after the first 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile peel and rinse vegetables.
5. After an hour of cooking, add the vegetables (carrots, baby turnips , peas and fresh garlic). Place them around the chicken and sprinkle with salt.
6. Roast for 30 minutes more, it’s ready!
(image by sof vousinvite)