Pommes noisettes, better known as potato balls, belong to the fried potatoes category. Pommes noisettes are small “balls” of potatoes which are obtained using a round spoon also known as “parisienne scoop.”
So here’s how to make pommes noisettes in the traditional way.
Ingredients: Potato Balls
- 2lbs (1 kg) of potatoes with firm flesh
- 2 tbsp (30mL) of peanut oil
- 2 3/4 (40g) of butter
The quantity of potatoes can vary if other garnishing is served along. Anyway there are a lot of remaining trims that can be used to make soup for example.
1. Using the parisian spoon, remove the potato beads, pushing it firmly into the spoon in the potato and turning the spoon to get the “ball” the most possible.
Then book in cold water.
We speak of “balls”, but they are never completely round, you just try to get close.
2. Change water of the potatoes beads.
3. Put the pommes noisettes in a sauté pan and cover with water 1cm over the potatoes.
Bring water to a simmer over high heat.
At this stage there may be a little foam on the surface. Preheat oven to 390°F (200°c).
Water can boil but not for a really long time. We are poaching potatoes, having them undergo a pre-cooking.
4. Drain the potatoes without let them cool.
Here you can pat dry with paper towel to remove some moisture, it is to avoid oil spills during the next phase.
5. A high heat, heat the oil, almost smoking, add the potatoes and stir the cooking pot to coat pommes noisettes with oil (so they do not attach).
Reduce heat to medium, season, let the potatoes brown slightly.
Bake at 390°F (200°c), stirring while cooking two to three times until the potatoes get a uniform color.
6. Drain the potatoes if necessary.
Add fresh butter, stirring well to coat the pommes noisettes.
So it is quite long a first look but it is actually easy; after a few tries. What’s do you think of this potato balls recipe?