Fish patties — It’s often the simplest things that delight us the most. After enjoying pan fried cod fish with pesto and white beans last night for dinner, tonight use the leftovers to make these fish cakes. Incredibly easy and quick to make, these patties will please your kids. This basic recipe is versatile enough so you can add your own favorite flavor combinations.
Ingredients list for the fish patties recipe
Makes about 8 patties
- 2/3 lb (300g) white fish fillets (hake, cod, tilapia, halibut)
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp flour
- Parsley, chives (fresh or frozen)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fish stock
1. Cook diced potatoes in water from 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and mash with a fork and let cool. Patties better hold the cooking when potatoes are very cold, so you can cook them the day before.
2. Meanwhile, cook the fish in court bouillon for ten minutes. Drain and let cool. You can also steam you fish fillets, it’s up to you. I you
3. Finely chop the onion. Crumble fish and mix with onion.
4. Add mashed potatoes, egg, parsley, chives, flour, salt and pepper. Mix well using a wooden spoon .
5. Heat oil in a skillet. Reduce heat to a minimum.
6. Make fairly thick patties by pressing thoroughly with your hands.
7. Gently place the patties in the pan, and cook until nicely browned, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Set aside on paper towels .8. Serve with a salad and tomato sauce.
- You can use your favourite fish or combine flavours for added depth and character, like salmon and haddock for example. Try also with crab meat!
- These patties are also ideal when made bite-size for kids parties and picnics.
- You can also serve with tartar sauce on slider buns for a tuna burger.