Do you want to know how to make tartare sauce? The tartar sauce is a sauce derived from mayonnaise. It therefore consists of mayonnaise, gherkins, capers, chervil, tarragon and parsley. We can add finely chopped onion in the original tartare sauce recipe and replace the parsley with chives. You can serve the tartar sauce with fish and grilled meat or fried fish preparations.
How to Make a Tartar Sauce
Ingredients list to make tartar sauce
- 3/4 to 1 cup (200 to 250 mL) of oil, mixing 4 different oils
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon (15-20 g) mustard
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Salt, white pepper or cayenne pepper
- 3-4 sprigs of parsley, chervil and tarragon
- 1 ounce (30g) of pickles
- 1 ounce (30g) of capers
- 1 ounce (30g) onion
The preparation of tartar sauce
1. In a bowl or cup (stainless bowl) combine salt, pepper, vinegar and mustard.
2. Whisk all of it together and dissolve salt.
3. Clarify the egg (separate the white from the yolk).
4. Add the yolk and mix with whisk.
5. Gradually add in oil, whipping vigorously with a whisk.
6. The mayonnaise should become pale yellow.
At the end whisk vigorously to “tighten” the mayonnaise.
7. Drain the pickles and capers.
If you wish to add the onion, chop finely as shown here
And then set aside.
8. Cut the pickles into thin slices.
Cut the slices into strips, then cut julienne into tiny cubes, and then book.
9. Finely chop the capers and book.
10. Remove the leaves and finely chop the tarragon, book.
11. Remove the leaves and finely chop the chervil, book.
12. Remove the leaves and finely chop the parsley and set aside
13. Add all the chopped ingredients with mayonnaise
14. Whisk to mix and shake tartar sauce.
Corner the edges, film and refrigerate.
Here you are with your homemade tartar sauce!
About the equipment
If you don’t have a whisk or spatula in your kitchen, you can look at this article about the various kind of whisks for cooking, or just browse our little products selection below:
Also read: learn how to cook easy starter recipes