Fresh white beans cooked with aromatics and herbs, with the addition of pan-fried cod fillet—this dish has a really toothsome texture! The combination of pesto, beans and cod is ridiculously good for you, which is a bonus if you’ve mainly eaten cake for the last couple of days! This simple combination of ingredients is an absolute weeknight staple. If you can find fresh beans, you’ll be able to control what amount you use and skip the long soaking process.
Ingredient list for the pan fried cod fillets with white beans
- 4 cod fillets, about 1/3 lb (150 to 180g)
- 4 lb (2kg) of fresh white beans, such as cannelini or navy
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 chicken cube stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1/2 cup (10cl) of liquid cream
- 2 cloves
For the pesto:
- 1 bunch of basil
- (10g) pine nuts
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- (10 cl) of olive oil
- (70g) parmesan
1. Prepare the pesto by placing all ingredients except olive oil in the bowl of your food processor or blender.
2. Mix and add few tablespoons of cold water to get the desired consistency, gradually add the olive oil.
3. Shell beans. Peel and wash the carrots. Peel the onion, and cut in half. Prick the onion halves with cloves.
4. In a saucepan, place the beans and pour cold water to cover, add the cube stock and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes.
5. Drain, keeping the cooking liquid aside for next use.
6. Put the beans in the pan, add the carrot and onion. Pour the stock over, so beans are covered.
7. Cook for 30 minutes over medium heat, salt 5 minutes before the end of cooking.
8. Drain retaining the juices. Pour the juice into a small saucepan with the cream, add the freshly puréed pesto (keep 4 small teaspoons for later use), mix and add beans (removing the carrot, onion and bouquet garni) and leave it over the heat, time to cook the fish.
9. Meanwhile, heat a frying pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and cook the cod two sides until it is slightly colored.
10. Arrange the beans, add a teaspoon of pesto on each plate and top with cod and a few basil leaves. Enjoy!
(Photo by nanou)