These caramelized pineapple tarts are buttery and flakey with a nice touch of lime zest and coconut. Made with a fresh pineapple filling this tropical inspired dessert is definitely an appetizing finale to a delightful meal.
Ingredients list for the Pineapple Tarts
For the crust
- 2/3 cup (140g) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 1/2 cups (250g) all purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup chilled milk or iced water
Super-Fudgy Double Chocolate Brownie
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled, sliced and cut in medium chunks.
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (60g) unsalted butter + 1 tablespoon
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
The tartlets crust
1. Cut butter into small pieces and chill in the refrigerator while you prepare other ingredients.
2. Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
3. Add butter by increment and mix with your fingers as you go, until you get a coarse texture with clumps.
4. Add in the cold milk and mix until just absorbed. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, pre-heat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
5. Once ready to use, roll out the pastry dough on a floured surface into a circular shape then make cut outs with a small bowls and transfer to floured tartlets pan or baking tins. Press the dough with your fingers into the mini-molds then cover with baking paper or baking beads. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden.
The pineapple filling:
1. While the tart shells are baking, heat 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet and cook pineapple pieces over medium heat, until caramelized but still juicy. Set aside.
2. In the same skillet, heat brown sugar and a few drops of water over low-medium heat and caramelize until fragrant. Proceed with caution as the sugar is already brown, so taste with a wooden spoon from tim to time not to overcook it. Add butter off the fire and whisk with a wooden spoon until smooth.
3. Put the skillet with the caramel back on low fire and add browned pineapple. Toss to coat well and reduce heat to cook for 3-5 minutes.
4. Arrange pineapple slices on the baked tart shells. Sprinkle with shredded coconut, lime zest and serve chilled for one or two hours.