When the weather is hot and you’re loath to do any cooking, try this simple and nice idea for a quick appetizer or savory snack. Take a log of fresh soft goat cheese and marinate in olive oil with herb and other seasoning. Here we used fresh arugula, black pepper, garlic and salt; it’s terrific for a picnic, on toasts or a sandwich with crusty bread, in a salad, and even on top of a pizza. You can swap out arugula for the fresh thyme, oregano, or based on what is available in your garden. Use whatever flavors you enjoy most!
Ingredients: Marinated Goat Cheese
- 0.8 cup extra virgin olive oil (about 20cl)
- 2/3 pound (300g) fresh goat cheese log
- 2oz (60g) fresh arugula
- 10 black peppercorns
1. Crush the peppercorns and chop arugula in a bowl, season with salt.
2. Cut slices of goat cheese approximately 1/3 inch (1cm) thick. Coat in the pepper / arugula mixture and place into the bottom of a jar.
3. Fill the jar with olive oil to cover the goat cheese completely.
4. Let rest at least 24 hours in the fridge before serving.
Note: The olive oil will probably thicken in the refrigerator, so remove the jar at least 15 minutes before serving.