A golden and flaky breakfast treat — We were pretty sure anything with lemon and poppy seeds was heavenly. Well, these lemon and poppy seeds scones are no exception! A little flaky even, and not too sweet either, these gluten and lactose free scones make a perfect quick breakfast on the go. Now you have a pretty good reason to go back to your oven!
Ingredient list for the lemon Scones with poppy seeds
Yield: 8 scones
- 1 2/3 cup (225 g) gluten free flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds (adjust depending on your taste)
- 1/4 cup (55 g) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 large egg
- 1 organic lemon, zest and juice
- 1/4 cup of lactose-free milk (either cow’s milk or vegetal milk)
Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper, or use a silicone mat.
2. Sift the flour and stir in baking powder, sugar, salt, poppy seeds and lemon zest, finely grated.
3. Cut the butter into cubes and add to dry ingredients. Using a stand mixer or by hands, work the dough so as to crush the butter until you get crumbled chunks.
4. Measure the milk into a cup and add the lemon juice. Break the egg into a small bowl and beat it before adding milk. Gradually add this mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula. Know that the more you work the dough, the tougher your scones will be.
5. Sprinkle a little gluten-free flour on your baking sheet and spread the dough over. Sprinkle lightly with flour and work to obtain a disc about 1 inch thick (2.5 cm). Cut the disc into eight wedges and space them so they won’t stick together during baking.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
(photo by: Miss Diane)