No picnic, barbecue, or lazy-day potluck is complete without a potato salad. This all time staple side for a backyard party is the ultimate crowd-pleaser. There is so many different recipes you can make but it’s almost impossible to mess up a potato salad. This herbed version is a complete meal on its own, but it also goes extremely well with grilled meat or chicken. Fresh herbs balance the egg-bacon combo and add a more pure, intense flavor. Throw in a crispy green salad, and you have one seriously amazing party side dish!
Ingredients list for the herbed potato salad
- 1 1/2 pound (750g) potatoes with firm flesh (small red are just fine)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 spring onion
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh or frozen herbs (chive, dill, parsley, fresh thyme…)
- 2-3 slices of Canadian bacon
1. Boil the potatoes until just done (about 20-30 minutes) in a large volume of cold salted water. Don’t over cook or they will be mushy and messy to cut properly. Drain and soak immediately into cold water. Then you can decide if you want to peel them or not. Allow potatoes to cool into the refrigerator.
2. Meanwhile cook the eggs for 9 minutes into boiling water, clean and chop the spring onion, cut the bacon into strips.
3. In a large bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar (or lemon juice), salt, pepper and herbs, add a tablespoon of water to dilute the vinaigrette a bit.
4. Cut potatoes into thicks slices and combine with sliced eggs, spring onion and bacon strips in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with vinaigrette — don’t dunk all of the dressing in at once, instead add it in gradually until you get it just how you like it. Mix well and keep refrigerated until serving.
Tip: Add a handful of toasted pine nuts and minced pickles to contrast the flavors! You can also replace bacon with crumbled tuna.