Here’s a creative twist on the classic lasagna recipe: imagine something lighter and healthier where beef is replaced by cod fish. Zucchini are crisp, cod is tasty and the sauce smells summer vegetables and sun.
This cod lasagna can also be made with 100% fresh tomatoes: remove the seeds and add 2 tablespoons of sugar.
As we aim for a healthier alternative to meat lasagna, we’ll make it without swiss cheese nor bechamel sauce.
Ingredients list for cod and zucchini lasagna
- Fresh lasagna sheets
- 1 skinless cod fillet without fishbones 3/4 lb (320g)
- 4 small zucchini
- 1 lb (400g) peeled and crushed tomatoes
- 1 pint (450ml) tomato coulis
- 4 1/4 ounces (120g) freshly grated parmesan
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the finish
- Black olives and basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
1. In a lightly oiled pan, sear the cod fillet for 2 minutes on each side over medium heat. Season and set aside.
2. Wash and cut the zucchini into small cubes. Chop the basil.
3. Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan and fry the shallots and garlic until they get translucent.
4. Add zucchini and cook for 3 to 5 minutes over high heat, then add the chopped tomatoes, their juice and sugar. Season and continue cooking over medium heat for 10 minutes.
5. Pour 3/4 pint (350ml) of tomato couli and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.
6. Add 3 ounces (60g) of parmesan and basil. Stop cooking.
7. Preheat oven to 360°f (180°c).
1. Place the lasagne sheets in the bottom of a baking dish that you have previously oiled.
2. Put a first layer of vegetables then a layer of coarsely crumbled cod.
3. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
4. Cover with lasagne sheets and repeat with vegetables and fish.
5. Cover with one last lasagna sheet.
6. Spread the remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
7. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 360°f (180°c) for 25 minutes.
8. Serve your cod lasagna hot with a drizzle of olive oil, topped with black olives and basil leaves.