So easy to make from scratch, these delicious chocolate cherry cupcakes make the perfect dessert for your next gathering. The chopped cherries blend into the ultra-rich cake, giving these treats a slight cherry flavor while keeping it super-moist with little added fat. The chocolate icing is just perfectly thick to spread but not runny, totally upping the cuteness factor!
Ingredients list for the Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
Make 14 cupcakes:
- 1 Yogurt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup (50g) of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) of white sugar
- 1/3 cup (50g) cornstarch
- 2 cups (200g) all-purpose flour
- 1 packet (1/2 tablespoon – 7g) of baking powder
- 1/2 cup (100g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound (200g) cherries, washed, stemmed, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon white rum
For the topping:
- 2/3 cup (150g) of crushed dark chocolate
- 2/3 tablespoon (10g) butter
- 1/4 cup (30g) of powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons of ricotta
1. Melt the butter in the microwave or double-boiler and set aside.
2. Beat the eggs and yoghurt in a bowl, when the mixture is smooth, add sugar and melted butter and beat again.
3. When all is pretty well amalgamated stir in flour, cornstarch, baking powder and beat again until you obtain a smooth dough. Add rum and cherries and mix well.
4. Preheat oven to 360°F (180°C). Meanwhile allow the batter to rest for a while.
5. Scrape and pour into the muffin papers in their tin and bake for 30 minutes. Cool in the muffin pan on a rack for 10 minutes before turning out.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the icing: Melt the chocolate in a bain marie with butter. When the mixture is smooth and shiny, add the ricotta and icing sugar, mix well and fill a piping bag.
7. Ice the cupcakes, smoothing the tops with the back of a spoon.
(Picture by N.Palmer)