Stuffing is not just for turkey–it’s time to stuff some squash! We love making these delicious stuffed butternut bowls because it is just not a creative way to serve a nutritious dinner; it also adds a delightful seasonal flavor to a wholesome meal. Baked butternut squash serves as an edible bowl filled with a spicy chili of white and red beans, tomato, carrot, onion and garlic. Easy and no clean up!
Ingredients list for the stuffed butternut squash
- 2 medium butternut squashes, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1 red chili, seeded and finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 small can (200g) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can (200g) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can (200g) chopped tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sour cream, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Cut the butternuts crosswise to make bowls with the bottom. Take out seeds using a metal spoon or ice cream scoop. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap in foil and bake in the oven until soft all the way through (20-30 minutes depending on the size). Set aside and keep warm until ready to serve.
3. Meanwhile, peel the other butternut halves and cut in small dices. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add the chopped onion. Cook over medium heat until golden. Add the butternut squash dices, cumin, and cinnamon and season to taste. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the bell peppers, carrots, and garlic and cook for another 3–4 minutes. Add the white beans, red kidney beans, tomatoes, bouillon cube and red chili. Simmer for about 25 minutes, until the sauce is thick and the vegetables tender. Add a bit of water if necessary.
5. Remove the butternut bowls from the oven. Divide the vegetable chili into the bowls, and serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and fresh cilantro.