Nothing says Summer quite like a fresh and zesty tomato salad! This combo of juicy tomato, creamy mozzarella and green pesto is so simple to make and offers a delicious twist on the classic Caprese salad. It’s a great way to use up tomatoes from the garden or pop over to a local farmers market to get that homegrown taste. You can make it ahead of time for a party, refrigerate and add the dressing just before serving.
Ingredients list for the Caprese salad
- 3 – 5 tomatoes depending on the size
- 1 16 oz. or more mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil, some chopped and some for decoration
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + 1 teaspoon to mix with pesto
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto (or you can also try this delicious green pesto recipe)
Creamy Four Cheese Spinach Butternut Squash
1. Slice the tomatoes about 1/4″ thick. On a big platter alternate the sliced mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and basil leaves in long rows down the plate. Chop several leaves of basil and sprinkle on top. This Caprese salad can be refrigerated for several hours until ready to serve.
1. Combine olive oil, balsamic, honey, salt and pepper in a small container and mix well.
2. Just before serving, drizzle the dressing using big wide passes back and forth over the tomatoes and mozzarella, onto the edges of the platter. Mix pesto with a bit of olive oil and drizzle of the salad and serve immediately.