Soup season has arrived. Squash season has arrived. And so here we are! Delicious and comforting, this butternut squash soup is perfect for a cold evening. Enjoy with toasted squash seeds and savory lardons for an exquisite contrast with butternut sweetness.
Ingredients list for the Butternut Squash Soup
For the soup:
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into cubes—keep the seeds for the garnish
- 2 (14 oz) cans low sodium vegetable broth – or 1 bouillon cube diluted in 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Baked Four Cheese Garlic Spaghetti Squash
For the garnish:
- Butternut squash seeds
- Chunky bacon lardons
1. Add the onion, carrots, butternut squash to a large pot. Pour the vegetable broth over all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes over medium heat.
2. When vegetables are cooked through and soft, puree the soup using your hand blender. Add the cinnamon and honey. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. While the soup is cooking in the pot, prepare the garnish. Clean the butternut squash seeds under cold water, pat them dry then dry roast in a skillet a few minutes; do not burn them. Stir fry the lardons, drain the fat and set aside.
4. Ladle the butternut squash soup into bowls and garnish with lardons, butternut seeds and chopped chives. Season to taste with black pepper and serve immediately.