Even if you’ve had a busy day, here’s still time to make a delicious homemade family dinner! Indeed, when you are in need of some serious comfort food everybody will love at home, chicken pot pie certainly tops the chart. Tender chicken, gravy, peas, carrots, and potatoes all packaged together in a golden savory pie crust. Perfect if you have leftover chicken you need to use up, you can throw them together in a hurry for a quick, comforting meal.
Ingredient list for the chicken pot pie
For the dough
- 3 cups (300g) all-purpose flour
- 6 oz (175g) butter
- 1/5 cup (50mL) of cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling
- 3/4 lb (350g) chicken breast
- 1/3 lb (300g) frozen peas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes about 1 inch (2,5cm)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup (25cl) of liquid cream
- 1/2 cup (10cl) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon milk for gilding
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Brown the chicken breasts on both sides in a skillet. Once cooked, cut into cubes about 1-inch (2 cm).
2. In a bowl, combine the flour and salt. Stir in butter with your fingertips to get a lumpy paste. Then stir water gradually until dough becomes smooth. Divide into 1/3 – 2/3 parts and keep in a cool place.
3. In another bowl, combine all the filling ingredients. Set aside.
4. In a saucepan, prepare a roux: Melt 3 tablespoons butter then add 3 tablespoons of flour. Cook for a few minutes, stirring vigorously. The flour will help thicken the sauce, but cooking it for a minute or so will help get rid of the flour-y taste. While stirring, add the cream, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring, until the sauce thickens (3-4 minutes).
5. Preheat your oven to 370°F (190°C).
6. Spread the larger ball of dough (the 2/3 part) and line the bottom of a baking dish. Add the filling on top.
7. Spread the second ball of dough (1/3) and place it over the filling. Pinch the edges to seal the dough.
8. Cut 3 small slits over the crust, and brush lightly with milk.
9. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. It’s ready!