Spring is well underway and the temperature will start to climb very soon! To celebrate the coming of summer, here’s a variant of the classic stuffed tomato recipe. This recipe is a bit lighter and puts the emphasis on the use of bacon and ricotta cheese instead of the usual meat stuffing. So if you’re looking for an easy meal idea for your weeknight evenings, this recipe is for you. Serve these tomatoes with a white or pilaf rice to complete your meal.
Ingredients list for Stuffed Tomato with Bacon and Ricotta
- 4 bull’s heart tomatoes (regular tomatoes will be ok, but choose them big enough)
- 12 slices of bacon
- 3 1/ ounces (100g) ricotta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 360°F (180°C).
2. Wash and dry the tomatoes.
3. Cut a “hat” to a third of the height. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, drop halved tomato, flesh side down, and allow to roast slowly. Salt and pepper. Take them gently aside.
4. Put the bacon in the same skillet and slightly brown.
5. Arrange the halved tomatoes in a baking dish. Stuff tomatoes with a bacon slice and a teaspoon of ricotta. Repeat twice and finish with the “hats.”
6. Bake the dish for 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!