If you feel like eating Thanksgiving dinner anytime, this super simple slow cooked turkey dish is definitely what you want. So simple and succulent, it looks after itself and will quickly become a favorite! Serve with sauteed herbed potatoes. Absolutely delicious!
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 4 – 5 hours
Ingredients list for the Slow Cooked Turkey Leg
- 2 lbs (900g) turkey leg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha, or 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- 8-10 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2/3 cup (150ml) chicken stock
1. Preheat your oven to 370°F (190°C). Season turkey leg with salt and pepper. Heat a heavy-bottomed, oven-proof casserole with oil over high heat, brown the leg for 3 minutes on each side. Then add onions, garlic, Sriracha, honey and thyme; cook for 2 minutes stirring gently and deglaze with chicken stock. Add the bay leaves.
2. Cover and cook in the preheated oven for 4-5 hours at 370°F (190°C)—or lower 305°F (150°C) for 6-8 hours. Baste regularly with the cooking juices. At the end of cooking, adjust seasoning if needed but there should be enough salt given the chicken stock is reduced.
3. When the turkey meat falls apart easily, transfer to a serving platter and shred with two forks. Enjoy on sandwiches, with a baked potato, white rice, or however else you want to enjoy it.
Note: Leftovers should be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.