What would be Funnier than a good twist on a favorite? I don’t know about you, but we never grow weary of good ol’ chocolate chip cookies. There aren’t many things much better than a freshly baked, warm batch of cookies coming of the oven. If you do one thing this weekend, it should definitely be to make this skillet baked chocolate chip cookie. It’s a bit different in that it passes up the dough-scooping step and utilizes a cast-iron skillet to make a big, soft, gooey cookie. With crispy edges and a soft, chewy center, this giant cookie is designed to be eaten with a fork or spoon. Enjoy with vanilla ice cream, a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and a spoonful of salted caramel.
Ingredients for Skillet Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie
Serve 6-8 or a pan of 7 inches diameter:
- 1 3/4 cup (180g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (180g) brown sugar
- 4 1/4 oz (120g) salted butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 5 1/3 oz (150g) dark chocolate chips (or coarsely chopped)
1. Preheat your oven to 345°F (170-175°C) and butter an ovenproof skillet (cast-iron is fine, if you don’t have one, a spring form pan will do it nicely).
2. In a food processor or with a whisk, cream the butter and brown sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Then add the egg, beat again a few moments then add flour and baking powder, mix again to combine everything (turn down the speed of the robot when you add the flour).
4. Using a spatula, add 2/ 3 of the chocolate without overworking the dough. Transfer it into the buttered skillet. Press to flatten in an even layer on the bottom of the pan.
5. Add the last third of chocolate chips on top, pressing lightly and bake for about 25 minutes: the edge of the cake should be golden but still melty in the inside. During baking, the cake rises due to the baking powder. The center of the giant cookie can swell, but it comes back to normal when it cools down.
6. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and maple or chocolate syrup. Enjoy!